So I volunteer in a 6th grade class a couple hours a week over at Canyon View Middle School. I just help the teacher with whatever she needs help with and then I usually end up reading with a few kids during their reading time and asking them questions. I kind of get a kick out of it because these kids try to tell me things like, "I don't want to ruin the book for you..." when I ask them questions about the book to see if they are comprehending. It is actually kind of sad in a way, because I know what is really going on there. They aren't comprehending so as an excuse not to answer, they make up things like that to try and get out of it. I keep trying to get them to just say something because alot of times they are opinion questions and so it doesn't matter too much as to what they answer. I have learned alot about 6th grade...it really isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, but I don't think I like it. In the earlier grades a hug can solve anything and as well as a few words of encouragement...I have yet to find one child who when hurt will listen or talk to me. They are a little stubborn at this age! I see alot of the rolling of the eyes and mumbling under the breath. However, they are older and get more into discussions and have more opinions so they can be really fun to talk to.
Well, my reason for even writing about this was because of this. One of the kids in the class was talking to me as I was leaving. (My first impressions of him was he is a nice and smart little kid...but he sadly becomes more and more of a smarty pants everyday. ) Anyway, he is kind of fun to talk to and joke with...but as I was leaving he asked me, "How much do get paid to do this?" and I said, nothing, I do it for Free. He then responded, "Stupid" and walked away. We were told never to talk anything that these kids say or do to heart...and I didn't. I actually thought it was kind of funny because my friend helps out in a 4th grade class...which is what I want to teach, and gets paid $10 an hour. I volunteer with snotty/cute little 6th graders for free...maybe I am stupid. :) I do enjoy it though, as 'stupid' as it may be!
Friday, September 28, 2007
Cute Little 6th Graders!
Posted by Brookie at Friday, September 28, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



0 comments:
Post a Comment