I have been thinking alot lately about being friendly. Being down here at SUU has made me really appreciate when someone awknowledges my exsistance. When I went to Snow, you would walk to class and say hello to every person you saw on your way even if you had never seen them before in your life. Everybody said hello to everybody. Here at SUU I am lucky if the people I know say hello. You walk around campus and you can't even look at someone in the eye because they look away when they know someone is getting closer to them. I've tried to think what it could be. I know alot of it has to do with technology. I don't have text messaging on my phone and I am amazed at how many text I get instead of someone just calling me. I know people who have hour conversations through text messaging. I think it is the whimpy way out of things. Of course it is much easier to text someone to get out of things. They can't really argue with you because you have time to think about what you can say to get out of whatever it is you are trying to do. To me it is just as if people are doing anything they can to have to not come in contact with another human being. I really am grateful for technology, but I think that it is turning our world into a depressing place. I just want people to look me in the eye. What does a quick smile and hello hurt anyone. Trust me, it won't kill you. The recent news from Virginia Tech has made me think about this even more. I don't know what problems that gunman had, but he obviously felt disconnected from the world. While we cannot help everyone, I can promise that when we do smile and say hello to people we come in contact with throughout the day, we are making a big improvement in their lives. Let's everyone try their best to just say hello, awknowledge someone's presence. It won't hurt you, and you will brighten someone's day!
Wednesday, April 18, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
I 100% agree. We are becoming a disconnected society. If we go along with it what will this world be like in 50 years? The human race as we know it may loose it's value.
lovely! so now even if you see me like a mile away...you have to scream my name...jk.
Post a Comment